Even in or maybe because of these strange circumstances due to the Covid-19 pandemic it is important to broaden your mind and horizon. So, become inspired and meet international student teachers for primary and secondary education at the Teacher in Europe student conference in Zwolle, the Netherlands, on 20-22 April 2022!
We invite students from international teacher trainer colleges for both primary (age group: 4–12) and secondary education (age groups: 12–15 and 15-18). TiE 2021 was an online edition due to Covid-19, and it was a big success. And that puts us as the organising committee for an important question: Do we want an online or offline edition in 2022? Since we think that personal contact and working together is an essential part of the conference, we want to try to get most of the participants in Zwolle during TiE2022. Making fun, working together and having informal chats are far easier to establish while we're in the same room. So you are very welcome!
We will have a very interesting programme with keynotes to be inspired by, workshops to discuss with professionals and group sessions where you will be challenged to work with peers and maybe find friends for life. The conference theme will be Teacher in Europe: How to practise United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG's) in the classroom. A range of experts will provide you with theoretical reflections and practical tools to prepare you for this task!
We are proud to announce that last year’s keynote, Elena Lengthorn and Nynke Laverman, will be part of the programme of TIE2022 again.
Nynke Laverman is a singer, songwriter, spoken-word artist and explorer. She questions life and, in doing so, doesn’t spare herself. With her new album 'Plant', the Frisian singer-songwriter Nynke Laverman wants to hold up a mirror to people about how we deal with the world and each other.
We watch and listen to the impressive performance of 'Your Ancestor'. Hereafter we have an interview with Nynke Laverman.
Elena Lengthorn is a senior lecturer in teacher education. She teaches both geography and science education across the primary and secondary centres at the University of Worcester on undergraduate and postgraduate courses. In 2021 Elena has been developing two Green Impact projects to embed Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and the UN SDGs into the Worcestershire education community.
To prepare well for the conference and the SDG goals, all participants will receive a preparatory assignment to be submitted within two weeks before the conference.
During the conference days, the students will work in groups on an international project plan and will be guided by coaches. During the final day of the conference, each group will present their plan to the other groups.
- Students participating on location in Zwolle.: € 75,- (accommodation (two overnights) and catering included)
- Students from Hogeschool Utrecht, KPZ or Viaa (including Erasmus students at these universities): no conference fee
University teachers who would like to participate are asked to coach small groups of students.
Before the conference, the teacher will be informed and prepared for the coaching through an intake interview on admission. Please note: Coaches have to attend the entire programme. Coaches (teachers) can participate with financial support from the Erasmus programme (teaching mobility). Please ask your international office about the possibilities. Participation for coaches is free.
Rules regarding admission:
- A maximum of 4 students from the same university.
- A maximum of 1 lecturer (coach) per 4 students, from the same university.
These rules are to ensure that there is sufficient diversity in the composition of groups of students working together. If there are more than 4 students from the same home university who want to participate, they will be placed on the waiting list. After the deadline, it will be checked if it is possible to admit more students.
In case of cancellation after the deadline: March 21, 2022, approx. 4 weeks before the conference, the participant owes € 25 administration costs. For cancellations after April 1, conference fees already paid will not be refunded.
Please check this schedule to determine your conference fee (participant type): Overview Participant types:
A1. Student Hogeschool Utrecht, KPZ or Viaa (including Erasmus students at these universities)
A2. Students from other universities, coming to Zwolle.
B1. Teachers coaching (coming to Zwolle)
C1. Conference Organisation
Registration procedure participants. Information and instruction:
- Click on the title: ‘Student conference Teacher in Europe 2022’ (or: click on ‘Log in’ - right corner of the home page)
- You enter the page to register. The first time here, you create a new account by clicking on ‘Create new account’
- Fill out the questions to create your account (For the question about participant type, read the information on this homepage)
- You receive a link in your mailbox to confirm your registration.
- Please confirm your registration by following the instructions in the 'confirmation email' and entering the Teacher in Europe Moodle environment.
- Click on the conference title: 'Student Conference Teacher in Europe 2022'
- 'Enrolment options' appear (above the conference title) on your screen.
- 'Log out' and wait until you receive an email about the further procedure.
- You have registered now for Teacher in Europe 2022.
- We will check all registrations regularly
- You will receive an email informing you about the conditions to admit you as a participant (coach or student, online or face-to-face). When we have received the payment, you will be admitted to the conference. We will inform you by email.
- When you are admitted, you have access to the Moodle environment of Teacher in Europe 2022.
- Click on your username (at the top, right side of the home page), select 'preference' and 'edit profile'. Please add your picture and introduce yourself (by adding extra information)
- A few weeks before the conference starts, we will inform you about the preparatory assignment.
If you have any questions about the procedure or if you have other questions, please contact Ria Posthumus
Please note: As we expect many registrations from students and because we want a fair share of participants from different universities, we use the following policy for admission:
Non-Dutch students from Europe will be accepted in balance with Dutch students and, in the same way, we maintain a balance between different nationalities and students for primary education and secondary education. This means that we will have to decide based on this balance. Be aware of this, it can result in some time between your application and our answer. If larger groups - from the same home university - want to register, they should contact Ria Posthumus. We will see what is possible. We have places for approximately 100-120 participants.
Payment procedure conference fee:
Conference fee € 75,-
Please pay the required contribution to: Stichting Hogeschool Viaa, IBAN (bank account nr.): NL19RABO0314622802
Please add this reference to the payment: 'TIE2022 + your name'
BIC /SWIFT nr.: RABONL2U. Name and address bank: Rabobank, Willemskade 1, 8011 AC ZWOLLE (NL)
Please note: Send proof (print) of your payment (by email) to Ria Posthumus.
Bert Kuiper (Viaa), Geert van Rooijen (HU), Romy Worst (KPZ), Marlinde Lieffijn (Viaa), Ria Posthumus (KPZ)